Sunday, December 25, 2011

Christmas time, gaming updates and the New Year

Hello all, I hope you all had a great holiday season.  I am doing well, having gained much loot from the family and friends.

As far as gaming goes, my Sunday Temple group didn't play again...they tried out a concept game I had kicking around in my head.  The basic premise was that the player's rolled up three stats, a BODY, MIND and SOUL.  They didn't get much in the way of personality, I wanted them to develop it as they played.  Also, they didn't get any kind of skill.  They "woke up" with one goal in mind, a mountain they had never seen before, with a bright shining light coming from it.

I had this in my head since watching the first few minutes of game play from a PS3 title named Journey.  It looks interesting and might try to pick it when it comes out.

The other thing I took from this video game was finding runes that, in the game help you fly.  In my game, they unlocked bits and pieces of the PC's mind, allowing them to gain skills in whatever they wanted.  Allowing them to build their character from the ground up.  I was using a hodgepodge of Microlite d20, a touch of Tri-Stat and just flying by the seat of my pants.

This idea was originally for solo play with individuals and then eventually getting them in a group.  Yet, I ran it with two people and I think it worked out better that way.  Starting people as a group, all of them trying to figure out what is going on and what they are doing.  And, above all, trying to get enough supplies to survive.

In other news, I am seriously thinking of trying to start up a ConstantCon game.  I shall keep everyone posted.  It will be OD&D or LotFP rules.  As far as what I will be using, I want to use the world I have created for my 2E game.  Yet, the issue is that in that game: No elves: Elves look much like those from the movie Hellboy 2.  They are seven feet tall and magical things.  One out I could see is that the PC elf could be considered a half-elf, using the same magic-user/fighter stuff elves get from the OD&D/LotFP rules.  Plus, one of the main bad guys is a drow.  I guess I could make him a full Elf instead and have him have complete contempt for any half-elf PCs.  Or, I could have a different NPC become the BBEG and not even worry about it.

Other thing is the main plot arch.  I will have to see if the players like it or not.

And, on a final note, I have been thinking of the old module Temple of Elemental Evil.  What would happen if instead of having all of the evil cultists in the temple, they are spread out?  They have taken up for different cities, each of which reflects one of the four aspects of the elemental nature/connection to the nodes?  Would that be to much?  Something to ponder about.

Have a great week everyone.  I hope to be back soon.  (I'm moving so it might take me some time to get back to the blog.)

No comments:

Post a Comment