Sunday, February 20, 2011

This game we play

First, read this.
Next read a response here.

And, now for my two cents.

Yes, I am a newbie to gaming and blogging.  I haven't played as long as some of those who appear to the left of this blog have.  Yet, I did start this to share my own feelings with the world at large about gaming from my perspective.

Mearls has a good point.  Stop this fucking argument about which edition is better.  Everyone has their own favorite.  I know after reading Mearls's post, I will stop railing against other edition as much as I have.  And, Joethelawyer has his own point about releasing the older versions of this game that we all love.

But, to demand that WotC does this is like Sisyphus pushing the rock up the hill.  At least in my opinion.  There are other sources besides WotC.  The biggest one is that pinkish gray matter between the ears.  This is a game of imagination, use it!  It is a wonderful tool that can be used to help spur us on to even greater games.  I do agree, it would be wonderful to have those older editions out for those who like them...however after some time you either have to deal with the fact that these old editions aren't going to be released and move on to the fact that you either have to remember the rules or make them up from whole cloth.  Yet, the is the option of hunting them down for a collection.  I believe that Joethelawyer might be coming at the idea of those old out-of-print editions with this idea in mind.  I would love to have a copy of those older editions.  However, it probably isn't going to happen.  MOVE ON guys.

I find the closing words of Mearls piece to be words to live by for  gamers everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment