Thursday, July 14, 2011

My 49th post!

Yeah, I know, this is the penultimate post before the 50.

There are many I wish to thank, and many who just wish I would get on with it.  I think I will do the latter.

This might seem like a bit of a silly post, yet I think certain things should be celebrated.  I know over at THAC0 forever, he just posted his 100th post, and that was after 3 years.  I hope it doesn't take me that long to do mine.

Still looking through the LotFP:Deluxe box set.  And, I really want to try and get the Grindhouse edition eventually.  However, one thing I have already done is obtained the free pdf from his blog.  I must say, looking over the spells, he has truly changed the game in an interesting way.  Wizards no longer have the destructive spells of fireball and lightning bolt.  And at first glance, that is a bad thing.  Yet, if you think about it, two ideas pop into my head at least.

One is that this makes the wizard a little more "balanced" with the rest of the party.  He no longer can out damage the fighter, with the exception of magic missile which still does a d4 of damage PER LVL!  The other thing is that with spell research, if a wizard PC REALLY wants to get those spells into the game, he can find a way as long as the DM allows it.  I would say don't do it.  Unless there is a cost.  Perhaps go back to the way the druid spell call lightning works in 2E.  You need to have a storm going to summon up the lightning in the first place.  Not saying do it, but that just came to me as I was writing.

Another thought comes from talking with a friend of mine.  You heard him on the last podcast.  My buddy Joe and I were talking about this game system.  Well, I was telling him how great it is and he was giving me the stink eye, but you get the idea.  The point is that this box set is very much a DIY kind of game.  DMs can use as little or as much as they want.  The rules are basic and easy to use.  There are rules for making magic items and I for one have more than a few ideas for items that would have the feel of the "weird" that ould fit into the setting.

Now, the only issue is to try and convince the rest of my gaming group that this is a good idea.  Some of them might shy away from the difficulty inherent in this system.  Wizards are big power houses, fighters are the only ones who get better as they level, clerics are healers and "buffers." (To borrow from the lexicon of the MMORPG.)  And, with no "stock" monsters, the DM must create monsters and creatures that are eldritch, macabre and unique.

I think with my next post, I will start giving a run down the box set, or at least rules and concepts that I like from the game in a more expanded way.

No comments:

Post a Comment