Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Thoughts for the OSR about D&D Next...

I know, two blog posts in one day, wow!

Anyway...

Earlier, I was reading some stuff Jeff posts over here.  He makes an excellent point.  Yes, there should be some sort of grinding for those who want a more "old school" feel to this new game.  I know mnay would probably say, "Why not just go back and use the old stuff?"  Good point again.

But, I can see much potential in the little bare bones play test put out by WotC.  I can see hacking away at some of the stuff, like the HD mechanic and the extended and short rest.  And, I can see bolting on bits and pieces from other games, making some kind of game that isn't quiet D&D Next, nor "old school."

I think there is a happy medium out there, and it might be D&D Next.  How?  Well, if you look at the play test, yes there isn't much there.  But, that can be a very good thing.  Use it how you want to use it.  Get back to WotC and say, "Hey this is what I did and I liked it because of X."  Or, "I didn't like this or this, this is how I houseruled it."  You never know, it might help.  Or, WotC might take your idea and throw it away.  Who knows.

Personally, I am liking many aspects of this new iteration of the rules.  There are somethings that are a little wonky, yet they can be smoothed over with either a house rule or maybe waiting until we get to the next "patch" in a few weeks.

One thing it has done is spur me towards re-thinking my own game world and how to integrate these rules into the rule systems that I use.  I love the fact that they use the Caves of Chaos and can't wait for more..

One of the big things that helped was the idea of this small sandbox, the Caves.  I plan on using it, to some extent, yet there needs to be a base, and people and allies and enemies and just that small little setting has me thinking and plotting more and more.

Of course, this is all my opinion...what do you all think?

No comments:

Post a Comment